Thursday, January 22, 2009

A welcome, of sorts

Up until about four months ago, I don't think I ever used the words social and media together in a sentence. Sure, I knew what facebook was, I had a profile. I had myspace. Hi5? Yep, once upon a time I had that too. I was familiar with youtube; I think I had heard the word flickr mentioned before. But the term social media was pretty new.

It's now become a term my fellow students and I know, love and use on a regular basis. It's one of the driving forces of our studies right now.

But how and when to use such a far-reaching tool? Ah, this is now the challenge. How to harness the great potential of social media and use it best, without over-doing it? When should we just revert back to the ol' tried-and-true methods of socializing?

That's what this blog is here for. To experiment with various forms of social media, determine what works and what doesn't and maybe even clear up a few misconceptions along the way. Yes, I'm going to attempt to untangle this web called social media. This is purely experimental and, like every good experiment, it will come with a lot of trial and error.

Here we go. No instruction manuals, no prior experience and, most importantly, no safety equipment.

1 comment:

  1. Get your hard hat on. It's dangerous out here! Nyuk nyuk nyuk.

    ReplyDelete