Monday, March 16, 2009

The Tweetest Thing

Tweet-aholic
The unannounced hiatus this blog has taken is a result of me actually (oh no, don't say it) living in the real world. Yep, in the last few weeks the scales were tipped quite heavily in favour of socializing, instead of participating in social media.

But not to worry, I wasn't completely out of the social media loop during that time. I managed to record a podcast (my first ever) with some classmates. We interviewed Martin Waxman , president and co-owner of Palette PR in downtown Toronto. He gave us some insightful answers to our Twitter-related questions. Listen to the podcast, or visit Martin's Twittionary for a useful glossary of all things Twitter.

Now, I'm not currently a user of Twitter, although Martin's enthusiasm for the tool almost has me convinced. Almost. I'm still getting over (what I think) is the slightly narcisisstic aspect of it. Everytime I seriously consider joining, I think about that Greek mythological hero and envision my own death by self-obsession. How many Tweeters (see, the Twittionary is useful!) are currently sitting, frozen to their screens, awaiting status updates, replies and retweets?

Ladies and gentlemen, that's what is commonly referred to as "Tweetaholism". While there is no ten-step program (that I know of), the road to recovery is easy and quick:

Step One - back away from the computer. Slowly, now.
Step Two - open the door. See that? It's called sunshine. It's ok, your eyes will only burn for a minute.
Step Three - take a deep breath. That's what I like to call fresh air.
Step Four - live! Welcome back.

I'm still finding this balancing act of socializing and social media rather precarious. I think joining Twitter might just tip the scales. Any Tweeters (or recovering Tweetaholics) care to weigh in on the issue?

2 comments:

  1. Living in the real world gives you something to tweet about. Although for the first time today, I had a LOL moment with a couple twitter friends about the iPhone bacon app, a pocket grill, tater tots and Glamour Shots by Deb - now 75% off!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a bit of a problem in February. Too much Twittering. Now, in the last two weeks I've tweeted approximately three times.
    The real world called and I answered gladly.

    ReplyDelete