Wednesday, February 25, 2009

What's in a name?

Is there such a thing as too many social network sites?


Are you LinkedIn? No?

Well if you Care2, Gather up your stuff and come on over to myspace to see what’s up; we’ll chat over dinner. I promise you it will be del.icio.us!

Ok, so maybe the only thing I know how to make is mac & cheese in the microwave but I’m sure together we can StumbleUpon something else. Wiki! Wait, what’s that mean?

It’s, like, slang dude. You Digg? Whatever, I’m just Twitter-ing on about nothing, trying to get a Ryze out of you. But since you’re here, I’ve got a book I want to loan you; I Reddit, and I think you’ll love it too.

Books. You remember books right? No, not that kind of book.

Who names these social networking sites anyways? I guess they’re catchy and all, but really? Bebo? Xanga? And, more importantly, what is with the complete disregard for spelling and punctuation when choosing a name? What are we teaching our children?

Maybe that’s just my English Literature background coming back to haunt me. But I have to wonder, would a social networking site by any other name still be as connected?

What do you think? You’ve been Tagged, so you’re it!

Can I get a Hi5 for that one?

5 comments:

  1. OMG! I completely agree with you. As someone who studied to be a teacher, I was able to observe many conversations my students had with one another. Not only that, I read what they wrote. Kids these days definately do not know how to spell and use a whole language I am certainly not familiar with, which made me LMFAO. I think social media sites and instant messenger programs are partially to blame. Oh, and let's not forget about spell check.

    TTYL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cleverly written. (Is it sad that I didn't even know half of all these site names until I read them on your post?)

    But to back up what you say, I agree that these sites/services aren't exactly setting good grammar rules for future generations.

    This instant message stuff allows us to get sloppy. I hesitate to use the word lazy, but I think sloppy is most fitting.

    We can get away with writing abbr. words cuz that's what ppl want to do and r doing. See, I bet you had no problem understanding exactly what I just wrote.

    To all English teachers out there, I feel your pain!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best post ever! I don't even know what half these social media sites are! You should hyperlink them for newbies like Jill.


    But really, for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks ladies!
    I think the popularity of instant messaging has completely changed the way people use (or don't use) grammar. And it's all just gone downhill from there.

    I'm not going to lie, I actually looked up a list of social networking sites for this post; I had no clue what a lot of these worth either.

    Melissa - consider them all hyperlinked!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Creative to the max! Who thought blogging could be so fun? I enjoyed reading it and look forward to future posts.

    ReplyDelete